Vark Exam

Determining Your Learning Style

Read each question or statement and circle the most appropriate answer. Some will be difficult to answer, but try to respond according to how you would react most often.

You usually remember more from a class lecture when:
a. You do not take notes but listen very closely
b. You sit near the front of the room and watch the speaker
c. You take notes (whether or not you look at them again)

You usually solve problems by:
a. Talking to yourself or a friend
b. Using an organized, systematic approach with lists, schedules, etc.
c. Walking, pacing, or some other physical activity

You remember phone numbers (when you can’t write them down) by:
a. Repeating the numbers orally
b. “Seeing” or “visualizing” the numbers in your mind
c. “Writing” the numbers with your finger on a table or wall

You find it easiest to learn something new by:
a. Listening to someone explain how to do it
b. Watching a demonstration of how to do it
c. Trying it yourself

You remember most clearly from a movie:
a. What the characters said, background noises and music
b. The setting, scenery, and costumes
c. The feelings you experienced during the movie

When you go to the grocery store, you:
a. Silently or orally repeat the grocery list
b. Walk up and down the aisles to see what you need
c. Usually remember what you need from the list you left at home

You are trying to remember something and so you:
a. Hear in your mind what was said or the noises that occurred
b. Try to see it happen in your mind
c. Feel the way “it” reacted with your emotions

You learn a foreign language best by:
a. Listening to records or tapes
b. Writing and using workbooks
c. Attending a class in which you read and write

You are confused about the correct spelling of a word and so you:
a. Sound it out
b. Try to “see” the word in your mind
c. Write the word several different ways and choose the one that looks right

You enjoy reading most when you can read:
a. Dialogue between characters
b. Descriptive passages that allow you to create mental pictures
c. Stories with a lot of action in the beginning (because you have a hard time sitting still)

You usually remember people you have met by their:
a. Names (you forget faces)
b. Faces (you forget names)
c. Mannerisms, motions, etc.

You are distracted most by:
a. Noises
b. People
c. Environment (temperature, comfort of furniture, etc.)

You usually dress:
a. Fairly well (but clothes are not very important to you)
b. Neatly (in a particular style)
c. Comfortably (so you can move easily)

You can’t do anything physical and you can’t read, so you choose to:
a. Talk with a friend
b. Watch TV or look out a window
c. Move slightly in your chair or bed


SCORING
1. Count the total number of responses for each letter and write them below:

a.________ auditory (learn best by hearing)

b ________ visual (learn best by seeing)

c.________ kinesthetic (learn best by touching, doing, moving)

2. Notice if one modality is significantly higher or lower, or if any two modalities are close in number.

© 2004 by Incentive Publications, Inc., Nashville, TN.


Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Results of Vark test

My results of the test are as follows: a-6, b-4, c-4. As I predicted I am mostly an auditory learner, with some features of visual and kinesthetic one. A totally agree with the statement that the traditional learning process favors an auditory learning style. Perhaps, that is why I personally tend to develop skills that are more effective in the current educational system. For example, I noticed not once that during a professor’s lecture when the material is the most critical to remember and understand, I usually stop writing and just listen to the lecturer. I have also noticed that I very rarely reread those writings I have already made. I stopped doing the common student’s error when, for example, being mostly an auditory learner he spends most of the time trying to memorize written material. I guess that understanding of your own memory’s unique features and strengths could lead to the substantial improvement in learning experience. What most important is not to follow the common trend but instead try to listen to your own mind, which I believe will direct you to the right path.

As to the contribution to the class and successful completion of assignments; I hope that this class will be communication intensive that applies well on my learning style. I like class discussion and in case it is something that interests me, willingly participate in it. I like to share my own experience and to hear the others one. Nevertheless English is my second language and spoken language appears to be my weakest part, I don’t fill shy or embarrassed due to my accent or awkward pronunciation, if I really have something to say. Since I am not so good in visual learning I just hope that books, we are about to read this semester, are not boring and do not contain too many descriptive chapters. So first, in order to succeed in class I will rely on my strong sides such as critical thinking, logic and life experience. And since there is no chance to avoid massive reading I will try my best to meet the requirements.

4 comments:

Melissa Feliz said...

Alex, I am impressed that your learning style is auditory. It has always been hard for me to sit in a class and just listen without writing something down and repeating it to myself a few times out loud before really grasping the main idea of it. Although my style of learning is more visual than anything else and is effective for me, I feel that if you are an auditory learner it is easier for you to acquire other styles of learning.

Tatsiana said...

Alex! You definitely know your strong sides! However, don't underestimate your visual and kinesthetic traits. After all, your scores are very close. Just by saying that you "will rely on logic and life experience" you show your kinesthetic side.
You are right about not trying to memorize the notes, since you are more of an auditory learner. A tape recorder would work really well for you, for that matter. I also think, it's best for you to go over the material with a professor or a classmate by talking to them and hearing what they have to say. I like doing it myself, and group discussions worked really well for me before.
Don't be scared of "boring" books - be positive!:) Try to find a connection between the text and real world examples or stories you heard before.
As to your "weakest part", spoken language, I envy your confidence when speaking in public. I can only hope that by the end of the semester I'll be able to say the same thing:)

nikita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nikita said...

It is a very good ability to be an auditory learner as it's the most popular way of learning. As a kinesthetic learner, it is very difficult for me to memorize material from lectures. If I don't make notes the result will be that after few days, if not a few hours, I will forget everything that was said on the lecture. It is thousands times more effective for me to try something rather than listen or watching another person doing that. Auditory way of learning is very important, as well as others two; and we should not concentrate on one style of learning and improve the others.